Ahrnold School

Arnhold School District No. 1618 was established on April 2, 1912. Casper and Anna Ogonowski donated two acres of land for the school on SE ¼ 30-15-6E. The schoolhouse was built in 1913, and classes began that year.

Arnhold School, Poplar Park

My grandfather, the Rev. Patrick Bruce, was an Anglican minister who also taught school. My father, David A. Bruce also taught school. Arnhold School was located north of the Anglican Church, at a place called Oak Point. There was no school in the Village of Oak Point until I was 8 years old. One of…

Ashfield School , Kirkness

Back in the early 1870’s a young Scot by the name of John Kenneth Mclvor, came to Manitoba when he was 29 years old. He married Maryanne Corrigal and on a homestead, in what is now called Kirkness,

Balsam Bay School

The Balsam Bay School District No. 859 was formed on May 7, 1895 by bylaw No. 128 of the Council of the Rural Municipality of St. Clements to consist of the following lands: Sections, 9, 10, 15, 16, 21,22,23,26,27, 28, 32, 33, 34, 35, whole or fractional in tp. 17-78. Sections 4, 5,’1,8,9, ll, 17,…

Beaconia School

In the mid 1920’s, a group of Beaconia residents were agitating for a school to be formed in their area. A petition was circulated and soon was widely signed. Mr. A.C. Trapp presented the petition to his Councillor, Mr. J. Isbister, who in turn presented it to the Municipality of St. Clements by the early…

Bright Star School, Tyndall

The new School District of Bright Star No. 2024 was formed by a board of arbitrators, acting upon a petition signed by Walter Pasieka and thirteen other landowners of the area. This meeting was held at Tyndall, MB. On Thursday, Feb. 5, 1920 at 2 p.m. This new district was to be made up of…

Brodie School, Thalberg

Early in Feb. 1917, a group petitioned for the formation of a new school district. The land proposed was included in the Thalberg S.D. and consisted of the NE 1/4 of Sec. 32 and all of Sec. 33 in tp. 16-8E. Therefore Council (R.M. of St. Clements) did prepare by-law (No. 14211917) to carry out…

Brookside School

Brookside School District No. 1546 was established on October 19, 1910.

Brookside School, Wakleyburg

A group of residents petitioned the Municipality of St. Clements during the summer of 1910 begging that a new school district be formed, to be known as Brookside No. 1546. The petition stated that there were just under 30 children of school age living within a one mile radius of the proposed school site. The…

Donald School, Narol

The School District of Donald School No. 1094 was formed on Nov. 6, 1900 by an award of Arbitrators and by Feb. 4, 1901, the first public meeting for election of trustees was called resulting in Albert Anderson becoming Chairman of the Board, Donald McKay and Donald McDonald trustees with Donald McDonald filling the Sec….

Dunlop School, Grand Marais

The school district of Dunlop No. 2150 was formed by J.E.S. Dunlop (IPS) on the 16th of June, 1926, and consisted of the following lands in unorganized territory: Sections 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 23, 24, 25, 26, 35, and 36, in tp. 18-7E and 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 30 in tp. 18-8E….

Glenmoore School, Thalberg

This school district was formed by an award of arbitrators, dated March 1, 1939, to consist of Sec. 20, 21, 22, N 1/2 of 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36 in tp. 15-8E, and Sec. 2 and 3, E 1/2 of Sec. 4, in at 16-8E. The Arbitrators met at…

Gonor school, Gonor

During the year 1899 there was much agitation for the Parish Union Schools on each side of the Red River to split and form separate school districts. On March 3, 1900, during the statutory meeting of the Munc. of St. Andrews, a motion was passed. Resolved that it the matter of Sec. No. 91 of…

Grand Marais School, Grand Marais

The Reverend A. Edward Thomas, a retired Church of England Missionary, was in Winnipeg at the Parliament Buildings during the year 1915 agitating for the formation of a school district to be set up at Grand Marais. He talked to everybody who would listen. However, it was Councillor H.G. Thomas of the R.M. of St….

Greenwald School

The Greenwald School District No. 1160 was formed on Jan. 25, 1902 by the Munc. Of St. Clements. The boundaries were readjusted in 1926 and again in 1935 and 1936. As of Oct. 19, 1935, the lands contained in the S.D. were: Sec. 1930 and 31in 15-8E, Sec.6 in 16- 8E, Sec. 22, 23, 24,…

Gull Lake School

GULL LAKE S.D. NO. 2269 At a meeting of the Executive of the Gull Lake Community Club held at Gull Lake on Sat. Aug. 10, 1935, a unanimous conclusion was arrived at that the Executive were all in favor of the formation of a school at Gull Lake. The conditions were that the Community Club…

Happy Thought

When the school district was formed April 7, 1908, by By-law No. 12 of the Council of the R.M. of St. Clements. it consisted of Lots 1 to 58 inclusive. Lots 61 to 79 inclusive, Lots 88 and 89, the town white of East Selkirk, River Lots 236 to 246 inclusive, Parish of St. Peters,…

Happy Thought School

The history of Happy Thought School began on April 7, 1908, when the East Selkirk School District No.99 dissolved after “a few years of discontent in the area” (Goodman, 241). Auditor of St. Clements and fifth generation lawyer, Alexander Butler Rowley, is responsible for providing Happy Thought School with its unique name. Mr. Rowley was…

Highland School , Highland Glenn

A petition was received from Murdock McLeod and others asking for the formation of a new school made up from lands contained in part from Ashfield, Mayfield, and Prosperity school districts. There were about 80 children of school age residing in the area being petitioned for, and the nearest school was nearly 3 miles from…

Hillside Beach, Grand Beach

“The establishment of a Soldier-Farmer Settlement” at Hillside Beach near Victoria Beach is the latest development of the new homesteading movement in settlement of the Winnipeg Federal land division. The nucleus of a community has already been made by the opening of a post office and the construction of a railway siding at Hillside Beach….

Hoey East and Hoey West, (near Libau)

HOEY EAST AND HOEY WEST s.D. NO.2173 submitted by Pat Goodman ln 192’7, a petition signed by Jacob Jonasson, Einar Goodman, Hnat Slipecz, Alex Lefteruk and Philip Kippling, that a new district be formed of the following land: Lots 117-159 both inclusive in the Parish of St. Peters and Sec. whole and fractional25, 26, 36,…

Kitchener , Henderson Hwy north

KITCHENER S.D. NO. 1076 submitted by slh There was much agitation for a new school to be formed on the east side of the Red River by 1897/98. The young people on the east side of the Red were attending St. Andrews, Mapleton and Selkirk Schools. This meant walking the frozen river in winter during…

Ladywood School

LADYWOOD S.D. NO,555 submitted by slh The school district of Ladywood was formed on the 18th day of Oct. 1888 by the Munc. of St. Clements. By March, 1892, correspondence was received from the trustees requesting Council to collect arrears of taxes (for school) by distress if necessary as funding was very badly needed. By…

Libau School, Libau

LIBAU S.D. NO. 1237. On May 22, 1903, approval was made to erect a school on the SE l/4 of Section 15-15-6E. Today the Polish National Cemetery marks the spot. The land was purchased from J. Peterson, for the sum of $12.50. The very first trustees were Leopold J. Schalme, Julius K. Kreiger, T. Hoffman…

Lilydale School, Wakleyburg

LILYDALE SCHOOL NO. 12E5 submitted by Mrs. Pat Godman/slh Lilydale School district was formed on May 6, 1904 by an award of Arbitrators appointed by the Municipality of Brokenhead and St. Clements and Inspector Best. The boundaries were readjusted from time to time but as of May 21, 193’7 they. included: S of 34, in…

Mapleton School

THE MAPLETON S.D. NO.5 submitted by slh The School District of Mapleton No. 5 was formed by the Protestant Section of the Board of Education on the 3rd day of July 1871. The boundaries were readjusted by the Board on Nov. 3, 1886 to consist of the following lands: in the munc. of St. Andrews:…

Mars School (on #317 east of Libau)

MARS S.D. NO. 1774 Submitted by slh This school district was formed on May 2, 191,1 by an award of Arbitration. It consisted of the following lands: Sec. 3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19,20,21,28, 29, and 30 in l5-78. The school site was on l7 15-7E and there were 46 children of school age…

Mayfield school (directly east of #59)

MAYFIELD S.D. NO. 1473 submitted by Mrs. Pat Coodman researched by slh The Mayfield S.D. No. 1473 was formed Sept. l, 1908, to consist of the following lands, Sec. 7, N I /2 of 8, W l12of 16,l’7,18, 19, 20, 21,28,29,30, fractional 32, 33 in tp. l3-6E, and Sec. E I /2 13, fractional 24,…

Patapun School, St Peters

PATAPUN S.D. NO. 1636 submitted by, Pat Goodman On July 2, 1912, the S.D. of Patapun No. 1636 was formed consisting of the River Lots 185-235 inclusive. On July 6, 1915, River Lots 160-184 inclusive and Sec. 1, 12, 13, 24, and fractions of sections 2, ll, 14, and 23 in rp. 14-5E, were added…

Poplar Park School, Poplar Park

The Poplar Park School District No. 545 was first formed on Aug. 1, 1888. One of the first teachers was the Reverend Patrick Bruce who continued teaching the scholars until the end of June, 1894. Then followed three teachers between 1894 to 1897: Thos. W. Carter, Frederic A. Corbett and James A. Laird. On May…