Lilydale School, Wakleyburg

Lilydale School district was formed on May 6, 1904 by an award of Arbitrators appointed by the Municipality of Brokenhead and St. Clements and Inspector Best. The boundaries were readjusted from time to time but as of May 21, 1937 they. included: S of 34, in tp. 13-6E, NW 1/4 of Sec. 2, Sec. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, the W 1/2 of Sec. 15, Sec. 16, 17 and l8 in tp. 14-6E.

At the time of formation this school district was known as Walkleyburg, named after James Walkley, one of the first pioneers in that district. The school name was changed to Lilydale in 1919. The first school was officially opened for the Spring term of 1906, with an enrollment of 20 students, 15 boys and 5 girls. Board members at that time were Bill Chapel, Fred Chappel and Arnos Allen.

In 1966, when Lilydale consolidated with Happy Thought there were 11 pupils, 5 boys and 6 girls. During the years, there had been an average enrollment of 17 pupils.

ln 1966, the trustees for the Lilydale School District were: Walter Gerylo and Mike Harrison, Tony Kostiniuk was chairman and John Chorney was the Secretary- Treasurer.

The school building until 1944, was a 135 sq. ft. frame building. In 1950, the school was a frame building with red insult-brick. On July 27, 1911, the school board asked for $690.00 for the following school year of 200 days, for operating expenses. This would include school up-keep, and teacher’s salary. The teacher’s salary increased from Lilydale School, 1915.

$840/year in 1943, to $3000/year in 1966. In 1949, the rate of board paid by the teachers was $25.00/ month. Besides the regular classes, there was always a bit of
religious teaching, such as bible stories, teaching of the ten commandments and moral principles were taught. School always began or closed with prayers. It has come to our attention that one of the former pupils of this school was Mrs. Sophie Klim. Mrs. Klim
tells us that a former teacher of hers, Alice Clouston, married Walter Anderson and remained a part of this community.

In 1920, Mr. Newcombe, the Agricultural Representative from Selkirk, offered a prize for the best essay on “Sheep”, to be written by members of the Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs of Selkirk and the surrounding Municipalities. When the judging was finished standing
were as follows: 1st, June Anderson, of Walkleyburg School, 2nd, Lila Flett of Walkley School, 3rd, Nellie Anderson of Walkley School, 4th and 5th prizes went to Mayfield School children.

A fire occurred at Lilydale School, on Thursday Sept. 23, 1926, while the school was in session, around 10:30 a.m. The fire was started from either the stove pipes or the chimney. A number of children noticed smoke, the teacher got everyone outside safely, Four boys and three girls formed a bucket brigade and courageously put out the fire, before too much damage was done. After the smoke cleared, the fire was estimated to have done $100.00 damage to the school. Mr. G. Bjornson repaired the damage at the school, from the fire, and classes resumed as usual.

Here for your information is a list of most all the teachers who taught the Lilydale School District No. 1285:

Louis Hessing 1905
Vivian H. Durdew 1906
Louise C. Anderson 1906
Dorothy K. Lysoe 1907
Agnew McLemmand 1908
Annie McDonald 1908
Alice S. Price 1908-1909
Mabel I. Leslie 1910-1912
Mary I. Harper 1912-1913
Helen M. Hedley 1913- 1916
Margaret Young 1917
Stella Stevenson 1917- 1918
Ruth E. Oberg 1918
B. Larter 1919
Lavina Morgan 1920
Ella M. Jackson 1921
Jennie Moore 1921
Margaret Polson 1922
Handel Gealy 1922
Leah Sorritch 1923
Thelma L. Coleman 1924
Leah Sorritch 1924-1925
Mary Gryniuk 1925-1928
Alice Henrietta Clouston 1928-1930
Edith Elizabeth Bonner 1910- 1912
Hannah Laurine Glover 1932- 1933
Tina Semenko 1933-1934
Verna Helen Gunter 1934-1937
Lorna Leslie Duxbury 1937- 1938
Anne Justine Kopack 1938-1940
Margaret M.L. Pollock 1940-1941
Demeter Lysack 1941-1942
Sophie Gerylo 1942-1945
Mr. Stanley Dudek 1945-1946
Fred Klym 1947
Irene Boyko 1947 -1948
Miss Helen Yurkewich 1948-1949
Miss Eileen Stetman 1949-1950
Mr. P. Mikolayinko 1950
Mabel Belle Smithers 1951
Meroslava Beck 1951-1953
Kathleen Rose Litkowick 1953-1954
Laura J. Thorarinson 1954-1956
Elizabeth Phyllis Anderson 1956- 1957
Miss Christine Chubey 1957- 1958
Janet L. Sararas 1958- 1959
Irene Lobodowsky 1959- 1960
Victoria Tachinski 1960-1961
Albert Stamler 1961-1963
Helen Sum 1963-1964
Jean Ann Smerchanski 1964-1966

Submitted by Mrs. Pat Godman/slh

Posted in Schools.