The school district of Dunlop No. 2150 was formed by J.E.S. Dunlop (IPS) on the 16th of June, 1926, and consisted of the following lands in unorganized territory: Sections 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 23, 24, 25, 26, 35, and 36, in tp. 18-7E and 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 30 in tp. 18-8E.
The school was built on 4 acres of land on the farm of Mr. Oscar Hart, a trustee. He donated the 4 acres for the school to be build on SW 1/4 of 14-18-7E.
Two years later on Jan. 8, 1928 Mr. Dunlop arranged for an increase in the Dunlop boundary by transferring land from the Balsam Bay S.D. No. 859 (NE1/4 of Sec. 1 – 18-7E) to Dunlop.
Another adjustment was made in March 1931 when more land was transferred from Balsam Bay to Dunlop: adding the NW 1/4 of Sec. 1 and the NE 1/4 of 2 in 18-7E.
This particular school was in operation until the winter of 1943 when it was destroyed by fire. A new school was then built in 1943.
The new school in 1943 was built by the local residents. The farmers of the Dunlop School District got together and dug the foundation, cut logs locally for the rough lumber and hauled the gravel needed for the foundation. The logs were sawn at a sawmill in the district. The finished lumber was bought from Brown and Rutherford as well the windows.
Since it was wartime, special permission had to be obtained from the Dept. of Educ. Two local carpenters from Grand Marais, namely Mr. Pete Olsen and Mr. Billy Webb, were hired to build the new school.
The Dunlop School was the centre of activities in the district. Two main events each year were a Box Social held in Nov. to raise funds for gifts and treats for the pupils at Christmastime, and the Annual Christmas Concert with its visit from “Santa”. The pupils all had parts in the concert. The teacher had full responsibility for the concert and the time needed for the children to practice their parts.
Then the 4-room Walter Whyte Collegiate was formed and built to provide higher learning (Grades 9 to 11 inclusive). It was built on Hwy. No. 59 East of Grand Marais and was opened for the 1959 term. Later on (April 19, 1970) the Collegiate was enlarged and Walter Whyte was turned into a Kindergarten to Grade 9 school.
At this time the Dunlop School was bussed to Walter Whyte along with Grand Marais, Stony Point, Beaconia, Victoria Beach, Belaire, Balsam Bay and Hillside School Districts.
When the new School Division of Lord Selkirk No. 11 was declared a division by order-in-council 224167, Dunlop School was closed, in 1968. The Dunlop School was then taken to the Grand Marais School grounds, where it was used for classes for about 2 years. After that they became a part of the Walter Whyte School within the Lord Selkirk School Division. The students are bused to Walter Whyte for Grades 1to 9 and then
bussed into Selkirk for their higher learning for Grades l0 to 12. They are also bussed into Selkirk for swimming and industrial arts.
Finally, as a matter of interest, we list most all of the teaching staff who taught in the (Jackfish area) Dunlop S. D. No. 2150, during the 40 years of its existence:
Jaroslav Wywara 1926
Jane Vryenhock 1926-1927
Esther Cuy 1927
Eva Schwartz 1928
Jessie M. Post 1928
Madeleine Gertrude MacTavish 1929
Lydia Haehns 1929-1930
Gertrude Frances Johnston 1930- l9l I
Mabel Sheard l93l 1932
Mrs. L. Schmidt 1932
Mabel Shcard 1933
Lucy Evaline Mills 1933-1937
Marjorie Louise Harper 1937-1918
Vivian Yvonne Airlh 1938 1939
Marie C. Ignot 1940
Mary Madeliene Burzminski 1940 19,+l
Margaret Gerenia Rowan l94l
Eva C. Gamberg 1942
Marie C. Reckseidler I942- 1945
Marie Alexiuk 1945-1946
Mrs. Marie Orischuk 1947
Ncstor Jeffrey Topolinski 191?- 1948
Norma Eileen Ulrich 1948-1949
Mrs. Marjorie Louise Uchtmann 1949-1950
Nestor Jeffrey Topolinski 1950-195 I
Leonard Baumgarrner l95l -1953
Mary Bernice Budz 1953 1955
Marjorie Louise Uchtmann 1955 1958
Mrs. L. Fenuik 1958 1960
Harvey J. Lacroix I960- 1961
Bruce Yarrow 1964- 1965
A. Lesosky i965-1966
EAST SELKIRK S.D. NO. 99
Submitted by Pat. Goodman
Researched by slh
This school district was formed on July 8, 1880, the exact boundaries are in question but it appears that they were almost the same as the original Happy Thought boundaries which consisted of River Lots I to 58 inclusive, River Lots 6l to 79 inclusive, River Lots 88 and 89, the town site of East Selkirk, River Lots 236 to 246 inclusive, in the Parish of St. Peters. All portions of the Parish of St. Clements bounded on the South by the Kitchener S.D. No. 1076, on the West side by the Red River, on the East by the Easterly Boundary of the fractional sections in the N 1/2 of fractional tp. 13-5E, excepting there out the E 1/2 of Sec. 24 and 25 in tp. 13- 5E. Then again the East Selkirk S.D. No. 99 may have only consisted mainly of the town site of East Selkirk and some surrounding area. Bear in mind these are only speculations. Time does not allow further research at present, but research is on-going and everything related to the East Selkirk No. 99 S.D. will be printed at a later date and available for viewing by all.
It appears that when this school district was being formed in 1880, and again in 1882, it issued certain debentures, to secure the repayment of certain monies advanced to it. As of March 24, 1911, over $8,000.00 was still owing, but because of difficulties defining the original boundaries, and the changing of boundaries from time to time, an adjustment had been agreed upon and a compromise agreed upon by the holders of the debentures, that in the indebtedness it be arranged at $3000.00. It was agreed that repayment by the munc. would commence in 1911, and for 20 consecutive years pay $150.00 plus interest of 690 per annum. At times the munc. had difficulty paying this amount due to the fact that it was having difficulty collecting taxes from certain ratepayers. On Sept. 18, 1911 the Dept. of Municipal Commissioner requested Mr. Thomas Bunn, the sec. treas. at that time, to lay for an extra $330.00 per year to pay off the debentures, $150.00 to be applied to the principal and $180.00 for the year’s interest. To our knowledge this debenture was paid in full in 1931
We have no definite place as to where the original school was, but according to Fred Kordalchuk, who came to Canada in 1907, school was held in the 2nd floor of a home owned by Walter and Rolly Hickes which was near the stone quarry, about where Uniks now live. They also attended high school classes in a vacated house situated in the area of the stone schoolhouse, for a period of time.
Not much luck was had in finding out names of the first trustees, one note we have is that on Feb. 7, 1898 Mr. Purdy was appointed to replace Mr. McDonald whose term had expired.
On March 20, 1903, the Free Press ran a story saying that reports of the East Selkirk School closing were not true. Mr. D. Lyons says such a motion was introduced at
a school board meeting but was voted down by a good majority as there was an average of 60 scholars in attendance. Mr. Lyons also reported, “School affairs are
in good condition despite the heavy taxation caused by old municipal debts. ”
A school field day was held Friday, June 16, 1905, weather was damp but spirits high. Everything started off with the parade at l0 a.m., headed by a carriage containing T.J. Jones and Sec. Treas. Mr. Newton of the Selkirk School Board. This was followed by a band and behind the band came the schools: Selkirk, Mapleton, East Selkirk, St. Andrews, Meadowdale, Clandeboye, Kitchener, North St. Andrews, Central St. Andrews and Cloverdale. After the parade was lunch then sports events. East Selkirk won a “special prize”, a flag, presented by the Dept. of Education chief clerk, Mr. Fletcher, for the “Best Appearing School” in the Parade.
On Wednesday, June 19, 1907 at Winnipeg the Court of Appeal heard a case in which Thomas Bunn appealed against, a mandamus issued by Hon. Justice MacDonald to compel him, in accordance with a direction from the Sheriff last year, to levy a special rate of .l7c on the dollar on all lands within the school district in order to pay a “Judgment” recovered a number of years ago by the Canada Permanent Loan Co. The objection was taken on behalf of the Sec. Treas. to the regularity of the formal proceedings leading up to the Sheriff’s directions to levy. The “Court” held these objections to be fatal and allowed the appeal and set aside the Mandamus, with the cost to be paid to the Sec. Treas. Mr. F. Heap, appeared for the appellant and Sec. Treas. and A’C. Ewart for the Judgment Creditor.
On July 30, 1909, Canada Permanent Loan Co. obtained a judgment against East Selkirk S.D. No. 99 for about $5,000.00, the amount of the debentures issued in 1881 for the purpose of building a school. The judgment had been renewed, but nothing had been collected under it. An application was made for a mandamus to compel Thomas Bunn to levy a rate of .200 on the dollar, on all land in the School District. The mandamus was objected to on the grounds that when the statute passed in 1907 putting the Town of East Selkirk into the Munc. of St Clements, it was worded, so it is contended, to practically exempt the town from this levy.
Through the years the school had been the center of social functions, to mention some, would be to list: March 27, 1908 a necktie social was held in aid of the Presbyterian Church, $24.00 was raised, Mr. J. Morrison sang Scottish Songs and Mr. George Lane auctioned off the ties. In Jan. 1909 another necktie social also in aid of the Presbyterian Church was held, Mr. George Lane auctioned off the ties for a profit of $51.25. On March 26, 1915, H.W. Watson, from the Superintendent of Agriculture of schools, gave a lecture on Home and School Gardening and was illustrated with lantern slides. On Sat. Feb. 12, 1916 a heated meeting was held when Mr. D.A. Ross, M.P.P. discussed bilingualism. Mr. Ross said he would do everything in his power to have the clause eliminated, totally.
Our research people report that the East Selkirk School was closed for three years, in 1908 to 1910, but was then repaired and reopened. The East Selkirk School operated
as a school district until 1910, when the district was reorganized and closed.
We have now a list of teachers who taught at the School District of East Selkirk No. 99:
M. Armstrong 1885-t 886
Mary A. Hedley 1886-1889
Agnes Laut 1889
Minnie McNeil 1889
C.H.S. Chapman 1889
ceorge B. Reid 1889
Mrs. W.C. Eaton 1890
W.E. Stafford l89l
L.K. Halstead l89l
John A. Bates 1892
James Cibson 1892
Arthur M. Fenwick 1893
W.R. Tymms 1894
Albert E. Vrooman 1895
E.E. Law 1896
Chas. Huggard 1897
Thos. B. Molloy 1898-1899
Mand Read 1900
Fred Gershaw l90l-1905
J.W. Broley 1905
Fred L. Johnston 1905
Alex W. McCelland 1906
Alex Russell 1907
Chas. M. Melbanks 1907-1908
For the year 1909, we could not find the record of which teacher was still teaching, until 1910, when the district was re-organized.
Submitted by Mrs. Marjorie Uchtmann shl.