St. Michaels Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church

By: M. Furdyk With the advent of the immigrants into Canada, the Ukrainian settlers of East Selkirk wanted a Ukrainian Church. During the months of Oct. l-Dec. l, 1914, a church was built across from the Happy Thought School. It was called the Ukrainian Apostolic Catholic Church of St. Michael. Bishop Paul (Markevich) was the…

Read more

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church of Narol

By: Helen Doherty The Church was built in the year 1911 on land that was donated by Roman and Anna Bilyk. In January of 1912 Church records of births, marriages and deaths began. The first trustees of the parish, originally known as the Russian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas were His Eminence, Platon (Rozhdestvensky), Archbishop…

Read more

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church Gonor (1904-1982)

By: Alexander Powluk The history of the St. Nicholas Parish commences with the year 1896-1897 when immigrants from Bukowina settled in the Gonor district. In reviewing the history it is interesting to note that the Gonor district was already established by a Jesuit Missionary, called Father de Gonnor, who through his efforts, assisted la Verendrye,…

Read more