St. Judes Anglican Church Grand Marais

By: Betty Linkloter

Two acres of land were given for a cemetery and Church, one acre by George Rupert and one by Alex Knott. Grandma Marie Knott, Alex Knott’s mother, was the first one buried in the cemetery. Tommy Knott and Alfie Thomas were the witnesses of the gift. The church was built in 1896. It was built of black poplar logs, which were handsawn. One of the best men who could handsaw logs was Alex Kennedy, (Mrs. Sayer’s father). Five men built the church with volunteer labor.

The first pews were handmade by Jim Raven, a one armed Indian from Scanterbury. Some of the pews are still in the church. The original Holy Table and Shelf are still in the church; these were also made by Jim Raven. The bell in the tower was first used in the cement school, it was from the first fire hall in Winnipeg.

St. Judes Church of Grand Marais

St. Judes Church of Grand Marais

In 1931, the church was extended by adding the Chancel Sanctuary and two Vestry rooms. A small stained-glass window was placed in the Sanctuary by Mrs. Margaret Link later, first W.A. President. The organ was bought in 1914. Canon George Smith of St. Peters helped raise the money to buy the organ by holding basket and pie socials. The Bishop’s Chair was made by the Rev. Edward Thomas with the help of Jim Raven. Rev. Thomas was killed in 1917, when he had an accident with his team of horses. In the churchyard, the first landowners of Grand Marais are buried, Gilbert and Harriet Dennett.

One of the first ministers was the Rev. Coats. The first delegate to Synod was Henry Thomas.

Rev. F. Longmore journeyed to Grand Marais in 1929, and continued on until 1931. Later in 1931 Chas. R. Harbord preached. From Oct. 25, 1931 to April 24, 1932, N.R. Clarke took the Services. N.R. Clarke later became the Bishop of the North. Rev. G.E. Sage was a missionary school teacher at Scanterbury, he came to Grand Marais from June 12, 1932 until July, 1942. He did have others help during the two years of his ministry, such as, Bishop Isaac O. Stringer, when 18 members of the church were confirmed, W.C. Turney, J. Morgan Davis, Mr. Eden (a lay reader also helped), G.A. Harris, S.J. Tolton, Ernest R. Roe, J. Mainer.

Wedding of Rev. G.E. Sage and Natalie Froelich 1934

Wedding of Rev. G.E. Sage and Natalie Froelich 1934

Rev. G.E. Sage was married in St. Judes Anglican Church on July ll, 1934. He married Natallie Froehlich, and Rev. F. Longmore performed the ceremony.

Rev. Sages Attendants were Stanley Sinclair and Les Link later. On Jan. 3,1943 W.E. Kerr, W. Eden and Rev. Shenstone conducted services through to 1945. On June 23, Rev. Geo. E. Phillips dedicated the Roll of Honor.

During the summer of 1946, different clergy came out from Winnipeg, J. Rance, J. Blewett, T.D. Conlin, Len Fryen, H. Elwall and J. Mckinney. By Jan. 1947, Lay Reader, Henry Harper was in charge of the parish and attended to its needs with clergy coming out once a month to administer Communion. May ll, 1947 Rev. R.N. Holmes was appointed General Missionary.

Whitsunday, May 16, 1948, Captain W.A. Knight- Church Army was posted to Scanterbury and had his first Service here in Grand Marais, he used to walk from Scanterbury the day before and stay in the parish Hall overnight. He continued coming to Grand Marais until 1952,hejourneyed by foot, horseback, dog team, bicycle and finally a Model A. During his stay other clergy came for Holy Communion, Baptisms and Weddings. They were E.J. Hoad, Maurice Hardman, R.F. Dawson, E.W.

Harvest Festival 1934

Harvest Festival 1934

Harvest Festival inside St. Judes Church, 1934. Davidson, Nelson Smith, R.S. Montgomery, Stanley Aikens, John Bethel, G.W. Ashton, Lay Reader and Joseph Davidson. Capt. Knight now runs a guest home for Senior Citizens at Laurier, Man. (March 1983) From the Record Book.

July 31, 1953, Archbishop Sherman died in Brandon R. I. P. Aug. 2 Memorial Service for Louis Ralph Sherman was held by John Bethel.

During 1955, Bishop Barfoot visited May l l for confirmation, 14 members confirmed. Visits were also made by J. Gordon Furlough and E.S.W. Cole.

Miss Helen Isbister moved to the Parish Hall on May 20, 1956. Capt. George Hardy C.A. was posted here and stayed in the Hall with her. He was with us for only a short time when he lost his life due to an accident. His funeral was held in St. Judes conducted by Canon F. Glover and J. Burton Thomas. The body was then forwarded to Toronto for burial.

Donations were sent to St. Judes in Memory of Capt. Hardy. A new Lectern and prayer desk were made by Mr. Bill Martin. They were dedicated on Oct. 25, 1959 by Canon F. Glover and Mr. J. Davidson. The St. Judes W.A. also donated a Large Book “The Holy Communion” with Collects Epistles and Gospels in Capt. George Hardy’s memory. It was dedicated by the Revs’. Canon E.W. Scott in 1963.

Mr Tessmer, Ministers and Mr. Joseph Davidson, Layreader

Mr Tessmer, Ministers and Mr. Joseph Davidson, Layreader

Childrens Choir 1961

Childrens Choir 1961

Mrs. R.S. Montgomery (W.A.) came out to St. Judes on June 16, 1957 and spoke to us all, assisted by Capt. Dominic Prosser who was posted here on June 9, 1957. Noted: Captain Prosser took our Easter Service April 6, 1957. Congregation was 112, Collection totaled $25.26′ April 20, 1957 was the last service Capt. Prosser had with us, he was posted to Laidlaw, Sask.

After Capt. Prosser’s departure we had visiting clergy out from Winnipeg, Blake Wood, W.H.J. Walterr John Raines, Andrew Lam, Our beloved Jennie Wright who came to live at Grand Marais. She had been a teacher Missionary in Northern Sask. Mr. J.P. Mullan, a lay reader, came to stay with us on Sept. 28, 1958′ He stayed with us until July 10, 1960. We enjoyed visits from Deaconesses Enid Hives and Ruth Hall, they conducted a Vacation Bible School.

Captain David Holmes came to Grand Marais on Oct. 2, 1960, and he formed a choir C.B.L., Young People and a J.A. & G.A. He also took services at Balsam Bay, Scanterbury and Victoria Beach. His last service was on May 12,1963.

What a pleasant surprise, June 2, 1963, Canon Scott brought out three Church Army Captains, Doug Gray, Walter Ermine and Steven Beardy. Capt. Gray was to stay with us for three years. He conducted morning services at the three other churches as well worked hard with the young people. The Parish Hall was very cold to live in, the Roman Catholic Church on the Hwy’ was for sale complete with living quarters. After many discussions the Diocese of Rupert land bought it. It was dedicated by Bishop John Anderson on Oct. 25 at ll:00 am, 184 people attended. Doug Gray stayed until July 10, 1966. Rev. John N. Evans, Rev. C. Griggs and R.A. Wood, came out on the fourth Sunday to give us Communion.

The Deanery of Selkirk had taken a replica of Miss Isbister’s grave stone, had it framed and given to St. Judes.

The plaque was dedicated to Miss Isbister on July 30, 1967 by Canon G.E. Smith and Capt. W. A. Knight, also Burses and Veils were presented to St’ Judes Church by the W.A. in memory of its former members who have passed on to greater glory. The names in memorial were: – Mrs. Margaret Linklater, Mrs.’ Jim Lewis, Mrs. Bob Donald, Mrs. Joe Donald, Mrs. John Orvis, Mrs. J. Bouvard, Mrs. Andrew Lewis, Mrs. A’ Akins, Mrs. Archer, Mrs. Tillie Folster, Mrs. Walter Irvine, Mrs’ Joe Beggs, Mrs. Sam Sutherland, Miss Stanley, Mrs. Nickelson, Mrs. Mary Hourie, Mrs.’ Sam Wescott, Miss Jenny Wright, Mrs. Tessmer.

After Doug Gray left, Capt. Chuck Baldwin stayed until Sept. 25,1966. On Sept. 4,1966, Bishop Anderson dedicated Sanctuary Rail in memory of the Tessmers. Oct. 2,1966 Rev. David Barclay arrived and stayed with us until Sept. 28, 1969. He stayed with us until July 10, 1960. We enjoyed visits from Deaconesses Enid Hives and Ruth Hall, they conducted a Vacation Bible School.

Captain David Holmes came to Grand Marais on  Oct. 25,1969, and he formed a choir C.B.L., Young People and a J.A. & G.A. He also took services at Balsam Bay, Scanterbury and Victoria Beach. His last service was on May 12,1963.

What a pleasant surprise, June 2, 1963, Canon Scott brought out three Church Army Captains, Doug Gray, Walter Ermine and Steven Beardy. Capt. Gray was to stay with us for three years. He conducted morning services at the three other churches as well worked hard with the young people. The Parish Hall was very cold to live in, the Roman Catholic Church on the Hwy’ was for sale complete with living quarters. After many discussions the Diocese of Rupert land bought it. It was dedicated by  Bishop John Anderson on Oct. 25 at ll:00 am, 184 people attended. Doug Gray stayed until July 10, 1966. Rev. John N. Evans, Rev. C. Griggs and R.A. Wood, came out on the fourth Sunday to give us Communion.

The Deanery of Selkirk had taken a replica of Miss Isbister’s grave stone, had it framed and given to St. Judes.

The plaque was dedicated to Miss Isbister on July 30, 1967 by Canon G.E. Smith and Capt. W. A. Knight, also Burses and Veils were presented to St’ Judes Church by the W.A. in memory of its former members who have passed on to greater glory. The names in memorial were: – Mrs. Margaret Linklater, Mrs’ Jim Lewis, Mrs. Bob Donald, Mrs. Joe Donald, Mrs. John Orvis, Mrs. J. Bouvard, Mrs. Andrew Lewis, Mrs. A’ Akins, Mrs. Archer, Mrs. Tillie Folster, Mrs. Walter Irvine, Mrs’ Joe Beggs, Mrs. Sam Sutherland, Miss Stanley, Mrs. Nickelson, Mrs. Mary Hourie, Mrs’ Sam Wescott, Miss Jenny Wright, Mrs. Tessmer.

After Doug Gray left, Capt. Chuck Baldwin stayed until Sept. 25,1966. On Sept. 4,1966, Bishop Anderson dedicated Sanctuary Rail in memory of the Tessmers. Oct. 2,1966 Rev. David Barclay arrived and stayed with us until Sept.28, 1969. Oct. 25,1969, Rev. Robert H. Marsh was in charge of the four parishes. Rev. Marsh first, was a teacher at Hole River, a minister went to Hole River once a year’ Mr. Marsh could see the need of a minister in that area. He took his training with his uncle Rev. Gorby (between Emerson and Morris). When he went back to Hole River, he was a Dentist, Doctor, and filled many other needs’ His outside contact was a two-way radio’ He helped build a church at Hole River and Manigotagan. He also spent 2 years in Fort Alexander. Mr. Marsh was the last of our resident ministers. Regular ministers drove out from either Winnipeg or Selkirk, E. Drewlo, Canon Hoad, Andrew Lam, J.W. Oliver (a nephew of Bishop Anderson’s). G. Murdock (Canon George Smith’s daughter, oh! could she ever sing beautifully and play the organ). R.S. Oliver, Canon Whitford, Daniel Ash. From April 25, 1976, Rev. G. Murdock was out every Sunday until Oct. 15, 1978.

Dec. 31, 1978, Rev. A.G. Johnson was our regular minister from Winnipeg, Capt. Stevens came once a month. Rev. A.G. Johnson had his last service with us on June 27, 1982. Just at present we do not have a regular minister. On Oct. 24, 1982, Rev. Roy Barkett gave us communion, and someone has been coming once a month. Betty Linklater has been filling in.

The organists we had over the years were Mrs. Flora Sayer, Miss Maud Lester, Eva Linklater and Mrs. Marsh. At present we have no organist either. “But where two or three are gathered, there I am in the midst of them. ” St. Judes W.A. has put electric heat, an electric organ and carpet in the church. The W.A. consists of 8-10 ladies.

St Luke's Lutheran Church

St Luke’s Lutheran Church

Posted in Anglican, Places of Worship.