4-H clubs

 EAST SELKIRK BUSY FINGERS and  4-H SEWING CLUB submitted by Adeline Helwet The East Selkirk Busy Fingers 4-H Sewing Club was founded in 1950. Some of the founding members were: June Zegil, Carole Smith, Cecilia Klisko, Katherine Chanas, Sharon Corby, Frances and Olive Andrayko, Agnes Kwiatkowski, and Cathy Bosko, to name a f The 1953-54…

Read more

Canadian Order of Foresters

  Margaret Waytuik and Gladys Chorney hosted two 4- H girls from Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Anton and Adeline Chorney were hosts to Mrs. Bresley, 4-H leader from Nebraska, and Mr. and Mrs. Yurkiw and family hosted a 4-H boy from Nebraska. In 1962. Russel Kossack attended a short course in Brandon and Gladys Chorney went…

Read more

East Selkirk & District Senior Citizen Club

By: Cathy Waytiuk The East Selkirk and District Seniors Club was organized on March 15, 1982 and was sponsored by the East Selkirk Recreation Association as part of their Community Centre Program. The first meeting was chaired by Mr. Les Mazur, with guest speakers, Mr. Cal. Zacharias and Mr. Gerry Ham representing the Federal and…

Read more

Knights of Columbus, Narol

By: O. Ouellette On the urging of Father John Sajewicz, Pastor of Corpus Christi R.C. Church, three resident members of the Knights of Columbus undertook the task of organizing a new Council in the Narol District, Brothers Joe Czubaty, Walter Natuik and Omer Ouellette can- vassed the district for candidates (30 were required). On November…

Read more

Narol Golden Age Club

By: K. Pronyk, Secretary Members of Donald Ladies Auxiliary talked about having some type of activity for Seniors of the community of Narol. It was decided to take positive action after some discussion. Mr. Gerry Hamm was invited to speak to the group and show slides regarding activities and other benefits offered by New Horizons….

Read more

St Clements Brownies & Guides

By: Pat Goodman The 1st. St. Clements Brownies and Guides both received their Certificate of Registration on November 25, 1974. Both of these groups were sponsored by the East Selkirk Recreation Association from their onset. The Brownies have continuously operated since their onset with Bernice Perrin as Brown Owl from November l974 to May 1982…

Read more

Ukrainian Benevolent Society in East Selkirk

UKRAINIAN BENEVOLENT SOCIETY IN EAST SELKIRK submitted by Mat, Harluck The Ukrainian Benevolent Society of East Selkirk was incorporated by April 1, 1928 and continued as an active organization till the end of 1949, and beyond that time less actively. The first President was Andrew Uhryn while the Treasurer was Anastazia Romaniuk. The Secretary was…

Read more

Ukrainian Catholic Youth club of East Selkirk

By: John Kuzminski The Ukrainian Youth Club of East Selkirk was organized in 1936 with an initial enrollment of some l3 members. The membership fee for joining was struck atn10 cents per month, per member. By 1937, this enrollment had increased to about 27 young people. The organization was very active and the membership were…

Read more

Ukrainian Home & Reading Society

By: John Kuzminski (In Memory of Iwana Franka) It was on May 14, 1920 that a group of twelve men in East Selkirk desired to form an association in the village and to name it the Ukrainian Home and Reading Society of East Selkirk in memory of Iwana Franka. (a famous Ukrainian Poet). The names…

Read more

Ukrainian National Home of Poplar Park

Researched and submitted by Steve Myslawchuk It was on January 9, 1918 that the Reverend Ivan Kussy called a general meeting within the Poplar Park district to discuss the building of a Community Hall. The meeting was held at the home of KIym Weremy and Rev. Ivan Kussy chaired, while Mike Marko acted as the…

Read more