Bunn Family

Site 1: Bunn’s Road

Hear Rachel Bunn tell the story of how her new stone home came to be built in 1862. Learn about the bungee dialect (now extinct), about Rachel’s husband Thomas Bunn and about the serious impact of Red River spring flooding.

Read more
immigration hall East Selkirk, MB

Site 2: East Selkirk Immigration Hall

Around the year 1900, thousands of Eastern European (present-day Ukraine, Poland and Russia) immigrants came to Manitoba and were sent to the Immigration Hall at East Selkirk to live until they were able to secure a homestead. Listen to the story of one such Ukrainian family.

Read more
St. Peters Dynevor Church

Site 3: St. Peters Dynevor Church

Built in 1851, this limestone church was built for 87 indigenous families in the community known as Indian Settlement and is still running to this day. It is a now a national historic site.

Read more
1930c Grand Beach Dance Pavilion

Site 4: Grand Marais

On the south east corner of Lake Winnipeg is the village and cottage community of Grand Marais, so named by explorer LaVérendrye in 1736 meaning “the big marsh”. It began as a Métis community, became a busy railroad resort town in the early 1900s, and is now home to many cottagers and a popular provincial park.

Read more
Selkirk ferry, Nov 1923

Site 5: River Ferries

Before roads, the Red River was the main transportation corridor in the area. People settled along the river on both sides. Before bridges were built in early 1900, people crossed the river by ferry or boat.

Read more
aerial view of lock

Site 6: St. Andrews Lock and Dam

St. Andrews Lock and Dam was built on a grand vision to expand the shipping industry from Winnipeg to Lake Winnipeg and even into Saskatchewan by making a 5 km stretch of rapids north of Lockport navigable. This vision never came to fruition due to improvements in roads that made overland shipping a better option.

Read more
selkirk-bridge

Site 7: Selkirk Bridge

In the 1930s, there was still no bridge over the Red River in Selkirk. The government of the east side of the river claimed the ferry had been used over 50,000 times by its residents and a bridge had to be built. The federal government built one during the depression as a work relief project. It was to be a toll bridge but residents didn’t agree so took matters into their own hands.

Read more
CIL Dynamite plant

Site 8: C-I-L Dynamite Plant Site

Thousands of people drive past this site everyday, yet few of them are aware of a local tragedy took place here. On this site stood a dynamite factory for over 40 years that supplied explosives for mines in Canada west of the Great Lakes of Ontario. On August 29, 1945, an accidental explosion took the lives of three men while they were working cleaning the cartridge-filling machine.

Read more